Brownfield sites are defined as real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by actual or perceived environmental contamination.
However, cleanup of brownfield sites in Florida is generally easier, quicker, and cheaper than brownfield sites in many other parts of the country. That's because the severity of environmental degradation/contamination in Florida generally does not even begin to approach that in many other U.S. states.
Businesses that clean up and redevelop an existing brownfield site are provided with generous financial incentives, regulatory benefits, technical assistance, and liability protection. Just a few of the advantages of brownfield sites include:
- $2,500 Job Bonus Refund for each new job created in a brownfield area by an eligible business.
- Highly attractive business locations with existing infrastructure.
- Voluntary cleanup tax credits.
- Cleanup liability protection.
- Low-interest loans for assessment and cleanup.
- Brownfield properties are often located within enterprise zones that provide additional financial incentives.
- Increased State Loan Guarantee can improve lending opportunities
- Expedited Permitting for Brownfield projects
For more information on Florida's brownfields program, visit the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Brownfields website or the Florida Brownfields Association (FBA) website.
To locate a suitable brownfield site for your business, please contact us.